Friday, October 1, 2010

Project Rewind: DIY Project: Master Bedroom (Part 3-Finally!)

Originally posted on September 14, 2009:

So here is the final post about our master bedroom redo. It's taken me awhile to get the small details in place so that's why it's been so long coming. Of course, I still have a few ideas in mind to finish out in there, but all the main stuff is in place. I don't think a room is ever really "done". I'm constantly thinking of things to add or take away, but for the sake of having some closure on this project, I'm posting the "final" product!:) Hope you enjoy the tour of our redesigned room!

Welcome to the room! This is the view of what you see when you enter. You can see the horizontal stripes on the back wall; hung in the middle is one of our wedding pictures that I had printed by Shutterfly to a poster size. The frame that it is hanging in is one my grandad made awhile ago. You can also see the variety of bed pillows, which the majority of them I made by finding fabric and covering over old pillows (more on that in a minute). Another point of interest is the curtains. I'll tell you more about those in a sec too, but you're going to be amazed at what they are made out of!

Closer up view.

The two back pillows and the two square pillows towards the front are the ones I made. I simply found fabric at the United Textiles store in Bessemer (a great place for fabrics, rugs, window treatments, etc) on the the remnant table ($4.49/yd), measured my existing pillows, cut the fabric to size, and sewed them up on the machine! The green quilted pillow is another pillow covered over with a euro sham I found at Pottery Barn on clearance for $10 (originally $60 or $70!)! The monogrammed pillow was a wedding gift from my aunt and I found the round tufted pillow a couple of weeks ago at Ross Dress for Less on clearance for $7!

Closer view

Alright, now on to the curtains! These are not really curtains at all; they are painter's canvas drop cloths! My mom and I regularly check several decorating blogs and this was an idea we found on one of them (within the post, click on the hyperlinked "drop clothes" and you'll see even more detailed pictures along with Layla's inspiration). These drop cloths are from Lowe's for $9.99 a piece and measure 6ftX9ft! You simply can't find curtains this big for that price! They come hemmed so all you have to do when you get them home is wash and dry them and hang them up! Couldn't be simpler!

This shows how I hung them with curtain rod clips. This way, I did no sewing at all! I also hung them about 1ft higher than the top of the window to make the windows look longer.

Here they are going all the way down to the floor. The thing I love about this idea is the fact that they are so inexpensive, but really give a dramatic look. They are long and the canvas is textural and natural looking. They do only come in this standard canvas color, but you could always dye them, stencil a pattern or monogram on them, etc. Also, they can be dressed up by adding trim or fringe or a sheer curtain behind them. This makes them great for just about any room in your house. The possiblities are endless!
The right side of the room. You can see the shelf on the wall we talked about a couple of weeks ago, and the three pictures on the wall are actually black and whites of our hands. The top one is of our hands with our promise rings on, the second is one of my engagement ring, and the third are our hands at our wedding with our wedding bands! Just a fun way to remember those times in our lives as well as inexpensive wall art. The door goes into our bathroom which will be another DIY project post to come soon.

This is the left side of the room. You can see some frames I painted and also a cedar chest that I covered to make into a bench. I'll post before and after pictures of the frames later, but as for the cedar chest, this was an easy project. I just took some upholstery foam and batting, wrapped it over the top, stapled into place, and then covered it with this fabric that I also found at the United Textiles store for about $9 (another remnant piece). Stapled that into place and this project was finished.
Here's a closer view of the fabric (which I just love!) and also how the fabric folds in at the corners. This is the trickiest part of the project, but easy to figure out with some practice. And if you mess it up, just pull out the staple and try again!

Here's the wall opposite of the bed. The dresser with the candlesticks and two plates hanging in the corner. I'm wanting to replace the drawer pulls on the dresser, but am having trouble finding some. The measurement is 3 1/4 in, which most come in 3in. So if you find any 3 1/4in, let me know!

One last view. I do want to mention I found the runner at the foot of the bed on clearance at Ross Dress for Less for $15! I wanted something to anchor the bed and I think it also draws the brown out of the furniture to the floor.

Thanks for hanging in there to see this project to completion! I hope you enjoyed it and I'll keep you posted on some more DIYs to come! I already have a few in the works...

No comments:

Post a Comment