Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bedroom: Baby Girl Nursery

So, I'm FINALLY getting around to posting pictures of my baby girl's nursery. I figured although I don't feel "finished" with the room, I'd go ahead and share what all I've done up to this point.

Welcome to Mia's room:


The following pictures are traveling around the room from left to right:

(The top of this little green dresser is not really decorated yet; these are just pieces that will be incorporated in the room somewhere)







This room started out as an office, painted a dark green Behr color called Painted Turtle. So after some priming and two coats of two different pink paints (Behr, My Fair Lady, bottom wall color and Coy Pink, top wall color and ceiling) we got this lovely little girl's nursery! I also decided to use brown trim to separate the pinks to give a little weight to the bright and airy pink walls. The trim is about 10-12 inches from the ceiling as opposed to chair rail height or molding height:


This green display shelf was made by my grandfather and was in my room growing up painted white. I painted it green and added fabric to the back of it.


Here are some upclose pictures of the shelves:
Top of the shelf--Mia's footprints at 8 weeks propped up against a pink plate, a Precious Moments ballerina given to me by my dance group, an antique glass-lidded container, and Momma as the Dewdrop Fairy:)


Sorry this picture is blurry, but used a little silver tray as a background for one of her newborn pictures, along with a pink basket propped on its side, and her Bible


Covered a frame with fabric and put this picture of Luke kissing her head


Spray-painted a clearance clock from Hobby Lobby ($2.99) and an antique vanity handheld mirror and (not-pictured) a silver tray with a candle to round out the bottom shelf


My mom made this sweater and bonnet for me when I was a newborn! Perfect colors for this room and I love this heirloom piece. I've actually noticed in putting together Mia's room that I'm very fond of heirloom pieces. I absolutely love things with family history attached to them!


This is one of my favorite things in the room. I first showed you these vinyl wall decals when I posted the pictures about Luke's room. I got them from this online store (loved working with this company--so friendly and created exactly what I wanted!). I got a scrap piece of sheetrock, painted it the wall color, and made a foamboard frame covered with batting and fabric. I then added the fabric-rolled flowers that are all over blogland right now. I intend to add more flowers, but haven't made them yet! These are so easy and are made from scrap fabrics, so they are free!




Now for a few upclose details around the room:

This is the same dresser I used in Luke's nursery, but changed out the knobs. Got these from Hobby Lobby when they went 50% off.


The light fixture. This used to be in my childhood room and I just love it in here!


I got this chandelier from Hobby Lobby as well when it was on half off sale. I love it and just had to have it in her room! It hangs over the crib.


I turned this brown basket on its side to use kind of like a shelf on the other end of the dresser to give me more dresser/changing table space. I also revamped the lamp, which you'll see in a minute.


I didn't want the humidifier to be so obvious (and it was blue which just wouldn't work;)) so I took an old Pampers box, cut it to size, and covered it with fabric.


Here's the DIY crib bedding! This was quite a project that I worked my way through by searching on the internet to see how others did it! I made the crib skirt based on Luke's old one and then covered his old bumpers with this new fabric and ribbon. It was actually pretty easy, just time-consuming. In fact, the entire inspiration for the room was from these fabrics I found at Hobby Lobby. I started with these fabrics then pulled all the colors from them.




I found this "M" coat/bag hanger at the thrift store for $2. It started out blue so I painted it green and added the polka dots. The bag was a baby gift that Mia will use as her first ballet bag, and I made the tutu for her during the pregnancy. The tutu was also extremely easy, which I'll do a separate post for. This wall is still being switched around, so I don't think the bag and tutu will hang here permanently, but I wanted it out when she was first born (indoctrinate early;)!


This was my rocker in Luke's room, so I just made the pillows with scrap fabric to add a little girlyness to it.


My mom and I worked on this black-out curtain (found on clearance at Home Goods, maybe $8.99). You can see the top and the bottom of it. We added the pom-pom fringe to the top and then the fabric and trim to the bottom to make it longer. I wanted to hang it above the actual height of the window, to make the window look bigger, so that's why I added the fabric to the bottom. I just love this little paisly fabric!



This is the wall above the dresser/changing table. The corkboard started out as a plain, tan, run-of-the-mill corkboard. I painted the frame green and then used the fun fabric to cover the cork. Took some ribbon and thumb-tacks (painted green to add some personality) and made a little diamond pattern to stick notes or pictures under. The top, small window box with the animals, I just covered with batting and scrap fabric and then hung an antique vanity tray mirror underneath.


Here's the upclose of the revamped lamp. The base was clear crystal and gold so that was spray painted pink and then I took the old shade and hot-glued ribbon around it. Finished it out with scrap pom-pom fringe.



So there it is! I've had so much fun pulling decor together for this room. I still want to readjust some of the shelving knick-knacks as well as get a rug, but I definitely wanted to get this post done before the original things were switched up. I want to remember version #1! I'll keep you posted on how I update it!

Thanks for sticking in there with me on this blog. It's slow going, but I'm hoping to start posting more. I love sharing and getting new ideas with the blogworld! Let me know the latest room you are working on in your home!

2 comments:

  1. its so pretty! what is the name of the pink paint you used for the walls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, nessadvargas! Thank you so much for stopping by and looking at this room! The pink color on the walls is a Behr paint called My Fair Lady, and the pink on the ceiling is a Behr paint called Coy Pink. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete